Alt is an attribute that is used in the img tag in HTML. It contains the text for the images on the page, which is an alternative description. Its main task is to transfer information about the picture, if for several reasons it is not displayed on the site. Most often this happens:
- If the user’s browser has the function of downloading images on sites turned off;
- If the user has a weak Internet and the pictures do not have time to load completely.
The alt attribute performs the following functions:
- Helps users orient themselves in the content when there are no images;
- Facilitates a quick search in search engines for similar graphic content on the page.
- If the attribute is supplemented with key requests, Yandex and Google will add pictures from the website to the search, which will give the opportunity to receive additional targeted traffic.